Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas in Johannesburg

I have always been an early riser on Christmas – I guess it is the 8 year old in me. I was always eager to run downstairs, see the beautiful Christmas three and to see what Santa might have left under the tree.  And here I am at 47, 5:30 in the morning, no "real tree" for Santa to leave anything beneath, but I am up before anyone else eager to meet the day.  


 

Christmas is really different this year. A metal tree (very modern and South African), shorts rather than a warm sweater for clothing, sunshine and beautiful flowers in the garden rather than looking for a white Christmas, and a few days past the summer solstice rather than the winter, but there are still Christmas carols on the iPod, a turkey waiting to be cooked, family visiting (Randy's dad and wife are here with us) and plenty of Christmas stories waiting to be read one more year for the umpteenth time.


 

Christmas always put me in the frame of mind to wander through memories. IT was the nicest of days in my home as a child. Dad was in the best mood of the year, he and mom always kissed on Christmas morning (the only time we saw that), there was orange juice and bacon for breakfast and of course there was that tree.


 

As an adult, my obsession with Christmas trees has become rather pronounced. I started collecting them when I was in college – those Christkindlmarkts in Salzburg and Munich with my childhood friend Martha – than the beautiful little tree and ornaments which Denise sent to me when I was a senior – and then all the ornaments which friends have brought over the years. Yesterday as we decorated the "little metal ornament trees" we got here, all of these memories came flooding back to me. It is the thing that I love most about this season. While I looked for a presents under the tree as a child, now it is the tree itself that matters. The tree and its ornaments remind me of all of the friendships which I have been lucky enough to have over the years. Each ornament brings back memories of people known, good times shared and love. And that is the core of the season I guess isn't it?


 

Merry Christmas to all.

2 comments:

Jane R said...

You're back on blog! Hurray!

Merry Christmas to you two wonderful ones and much love from the Northern Hemisphere,

Jane (and Maya Pavlova the cat)

Unknown said...

I, too, am most happy about your Christmas note, my dear! I wish you both a Happy New Year! It is sunny, snowy & cold--beautiful--for this 1st of 2009.

Lots of love, Lisa